Blog

Skip to content

Family Tree (FCMS 2.3)

Just wanted to give an update on the progress of the next release (2.3).  One of the biggest and probably most requested features included in FCMS 2.3 is the Family Tree feature.  I’ve changed my mind several times on exactly how I was going to implement this.   And also exactly how this would be used.

Option 1

At first it was going to just be a way to list relationships like spouse, and kids.  But I decided that that wasn’t good enough, because it wouldn’t link the users together, and wouldn’t add much value.

Option 2

And then I decided to just do a full blown genealogy system.  But that seemed like overkill, and would take more development time then it would add value.  I even looked into integrating existing tools to do this for me, but most of them were too big and too difficult to use/setup and integrate/maintain in FCMS.

Solution

So ultimately I decided on a kind of hybrid approach.  A very lightweight genealogy system, that you could view in both a relationship list form (on your profile) and also view in a nice Family Tree form.  Unlike most genealogy systems FCMS’ won’t include things like adding notes and pictures and some of the more complex features associated with a genealogy tool.  Instead, this will be used more for just showing relationships between friends and family.  Technically it could still be used the same way as other tools, but that’s not it’s main focus right now.

Below is a quick example of how it currently looks (some minor changes may occur before it’s released).  As you can tell from the screenshots, the tree will only show up to two levels of relationships.  For example: your parents, and their parents.  You will be able to view other member’s Tree’s and also add members to your Tree that aren’t currently members of the website.

Click here for a larger screenshot.

What Do you Think

As always, I’d love to hear what everyone thinks of the proposed Family Tree.  Any suggestions, things you like or don’t like? Leave a comment below.

Be Sociable, Share!

Categories: News.

Comment Feed

21 Responses

1. It would be great to see more than 2 levels of relationships.. A simple family tree like this would suit me perfectly.. Thanks for your had work.

chocochrispiMay 18, 2010 @ 4:58 am
  2. I wanted to keep it as simple as possible, so that why I stayed with two levels, and if you include the children it’s really 3 levels.

It’s very quick and easy to view more info by just clicking on someone’s name, and it will bring up their family tree, so it’s easy to see more levels.

howdyMay 18, 2010 @ 7:33 am
  3. Great! Can’t wait to try …

chocochrispiMay 18, 2010 @ 8:17 am
  4. Looks great. Can’t wait for 2.3. When can we expect 2.3 to be available?

rohanaleMay 18, 2010 @ 9:37 am
  5. I don’t know, it’s hard to predict these things. Looking back at other major releases, looks like it takes about 3 months. So I’d say some time in July is a good guess.

howdyMay 18, 2010 @ 9:58 am
  6. That’s great. Let me know if you need me to help test.

Thanks.

rohanaleMay 19, 2010 @ 8:59 am
  7. I always need help testing.

I’ll let you know when it’s ready for testing.

Thanks.

howdyMay 19, 2010 @ 9:56 am
  8. Looks Awesome, I would like to test it as well if I can

9. I’ll be sure and send out an email to you and rohanale when I’m ready for testing.

Thanks

howdyMay 20, 2010 @ 1:56 pm
  10. AWESOME. We would love to have a location to create a family tree.

11. I will be using another script for my tree, so I won’t need the one that comes with Family Connections. It would be nice for a setting to turn it on and off as well as an easy way to add a link to the navigation bar.

The one thing that has always bothered me about Family Connections, and certainly this is nothing against you as the script developer, is that a person can join and it’ll show there name in the feed before I even have a chance to approve their request. If there was a way to have a member sign up and then have the admin approve them prior to access, that would be awesome!

Just my 2¢ worth. Awesome script other than that! :)

Regards,
    Alan

12. Like the rest of the optional section, you will be able to turn off the Family Tree and it will not show up on the site at all, for all members.

As for the other issue: what version of FCMS are you using and do you have Admin Activation setup or Auto Activation.

If you have Admin Activation you shouldn’t experience what you are experiencing (if so, you’ve found a bug).

howdyJune 6, 2010 @ 7:56 pm
  13. I have the “Admin Activation” option selected. I signed up using a dummy account, and once signed up, it won’t let you through to the homepage, but it still shows “soandso” joined. Is there a way for the script to not even show the name of a person who signed up until their account is activated by the admin?

14. FCMS should already work that way. This is a bug, I’ll enter it into the bug tracking system and it will probably be fixed in FCMS 2.3.

howdyJune 10, 2010 @ 9:01 am
  15. may be giving different colors to females than males, make it compatible with other genealogy systems like “http://www.phpgedview.net/” and “family tree maker” and also export/import “.ged” files

16. Yes, I will change the colors for male/female. And the import/export gedcom files will also be included, though maybe not untill next release.

Also the import/export feature will be a little weird because of how much info most gedcom capble apps can store and how little Family Connections will be able to handle. But it should still work.

howdyJune 20, 2010 @ 8:21 pm
  17. Our family is excited about the family tree.

18. The Family Tree in 2.3 RC1 – each entry requires a different Email Address. Any way you can change that? Some of the family members are deceased or too young to have email addresses.

Toad the Wet SprocketAugust 17, 2010 @ 1:24 pm
  19. i am facing a error in this family tree.relationship error when i am adding spouse. may i know the reason

20. divya – can you please post the error you are receiving on the forum?

21. What’s up, this weekend is nice in support of me, as this time i am reading this great educational piece of writing here at my home.

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.